It could be that you’re concerned about your online privacy or constant social media data breaches. Perhaps you no longer use your Instagram account, or you prefer other social media platforms, such as Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter? Or maybe you’re just fed-up with the pressure that social media places on living that perfect life – so what better way to avoid it than by deleting your Instagram account! It sounds so easy but like anything, sometimes it’s not as simple as you think. With our simple guide to help you understand how to delete an Instagram account, you’ll be able to wave goodbye to the social media platform in no time at all. See below for more.
Steps to Deleting an Instagram Account
First things first, log in to your Instagram account but this must be done through the website. You can’t do this from your App (even though almost everything on Instagram is done via the App!). You need to log into your account through your computer. You can access the Instagram web page from a phone or tablet as well but it’s easier through a desktop or laptop.
- Locate the Instagram account removal request page. For ease, here’s the link https://www.instagram.com/accounts/login/?next=/accounts/remove/request/permanent/.
- Alternatively, this Instagram help page takes you directly to where you want to be: https://help.instagram.com/370452623149242/.
- Don’t forget you will need to enter your password so make sure you know what it is, when you use an App daily, you don’t need to put in your password, which means it’s easy to forget what it is.
- The next page you’ll see on your desktop or laptop screen is a web page featuring the old Instagram logo and a drop-down menu which asks you why you want to get rid of your account.
- Choose your option – although Instagram is good at trying to dissuade you from deleting your Instagram account and will show you lots of options to visit their Help Center and ask if they can help to fix your problems.
- If you’re dead set on knowing how to delete an Instagram account, just select the button and re-enter your password.
- Then, you’ll be asked to click the button that says “Delete “account name”” and you will be prompted to confirm that you want to do so.
What Happens to Your Deleted Instagram Data?
Instagram will tell you that your data won’t be immediately removed. It takes up to 30 days for permanent deletion but in the meantime, rest assured that your profile and all your posts will remain hidden until complete deletion occurs.
How to Delete an Instagram Account – First, Get Rid of the Instagram App!
Don’t forget, as you no longer use or have Instagram, you should delete the App off your phone. You’ll free up some space on your phone too and it helps to resist the urge to go back to Instagram for a new account.
How to Restore Instagram
The bad news is that once you’ve found out how to delete an Instagram account and you’ve done it, you can’t restore it – unless it’s within the 30-day grace period. So, if you do want it back and you’re still within that period of time, simply log back in and follow the prompts to reactivate Instagram by selecting “keep account”. If you’ve left it beyond the 30 days, then you will need to re-set up your Instagram account and that means your username and password (although your username may still be available as long as someone else hasn’t decided to use it for their account!).
What About Temporary Account Suspension?
There is an alternative option to deleting your Instagram account and that’s temporarily suspending it. By using this, you won’t permanently delete all of your information, you’ll just hide it for as long as you want. This is a good idea if you’re unsure that you want to completely remove your Instagram account from view. Here’s how to do it – remember to log into the website version of Instagram:
- Log into Instagram via the website.
- Visit your profile page and click the edit profile button.
- Go to edit profile and select temporarily disable my account. This option will be right at the bottom.
- You will be asked to select a reason why you’re suspending your account and re-enter your password too.
- To re-enable your Instagram account after suspension, just log back in using your App or via the website and you’ll be back in! Remember, you ca only suspend your account once a week so, if you accidentally go back onto your Instagram in the meantime, your posts will become visible once again.
Hopefully the above has given you plenty of useful information on how to delete an Instagram accounts, suspend Instagram accounts, and re-enable Instagram accounts after suspension. Remember, after 30 days of your deletion request, you won’t be able to get back into your Instagram account so be absolutely sure you want to delete it permanently before doing so! For more help, you can jump onto the Instagram help pages by clicking here: https://help.instagram.com/.